Sunflowers

Sunflowers.

A house painted with sunflowers on Santiago's downtown
mural tour. Think I can convince Rafa to move here?

I never really knew they were my favorite flower until all of the sudden, they became my favorite flower. When I was growing up, we had a vegetable garden in the backyard and then different small flower gardens around the house, by the deck. In the backyard, Mom always planted sunflowers, and I loved how tall they were, so different from the wildflowers. When I left for college, mom would text me updates on how tall her sunflowers were getting. Now living in the Dominican Republic, I think of my family every time I see a sunflower and now I’m the one texting pictures of sunflowers and other flowers.

A sunflower field at Santiago's gardens!

During the height of the pandemic restrictions and curfews in 2020, the days became quite lonely. I started a few painting projects, one being a big sunflower. I’m definitely not an artist, but had a lot of fun creating it and have enjoyed it ever since. I might have to re-paint it, or an upgraded version, when we get a new home in Chile!



A fellow missionary family began inviting others over for Poetry Tea Time, where we gathered, read poetry, and enjoyed a sweet baked treat with tea (or coffee). I found this poem to bring along to read and it gave me a new level of appreciation and thankfulness for sunflowers: 


Always remember the sunflower 

Whose face looks toward the sun. 

She drinks His beauty in her face 

And like Him she becomes 


Her glory is like His glory - 

It’s strong and true and good. 

You know she is a source of joy; 

Her seed gives life and food. 


This special flower has much to give 
Though fragrance she has none. 

She teaches us to look above 

At God’s own perfect Son. 


L. Gayle Orf 


Sunflowers have been part of my life since childhood, from the United States, to the Dominican Republic, even on my trip to Tanzania. 


And now, every time I see a sunflower, I am reminded not only of my earthly family, but also of My Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus. So often my focus is turned inward or to the ground, what's the next thing on the list to accomplish? I don't know about you, but I sure am grateful for reminders in my daily life to look up & fix my eyes on Jesus.


Hebrews 12:1-3:

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. 

And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. 

For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 

Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."


Walking in a sunflower field in Tanzania after a long 
clinic day during a Mercy Medical Team

What’s your favorite flower?


Is there something you see in your daily life that points you to Jesus? What is it?


Comments