Devo Series: Psalm 116

 

 

This post is part of our Flores & Faith devotional series, a gathering of original devotional material. Each devotion will be published in both english & spanish. | Esta publicación es parte de nuestra serie devocional en Flores & Fe, una recopilación de material devocional original. Cada devoción estará disponible en inglés y español.

Who Ya Gonna Call? 
written by: Jamielynn Tinkey Flores


Psalm 116: 
I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy.

Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.

The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
    I suffered distress and anguish.
Then I called on the name of the Lord: “O Lord, I pray, deliver my soul!”
Gracious is the Lord, and righteous, our God is merciful.
 The Lord preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me.
Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.
For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling;
I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I spoke: “I am greatly afflicted”; 

I said in my alarm, “All mankind are liars.”

What shall I render to the Lord for all his benefits to me?

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,

I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people.

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant.
You have loosed my bonds.

I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord.

I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people,
in the courts of the house of the Lord, in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the Lord!

When tragedy strikes, who ya gonna call? When the doctor gives you bad news, who ya gonna call? When sadness creeps in, who ya gonna call? As a child of God, you have been given a direct line to call upon your Heavenly Father in prayer. In Jesus’s death and resurrection on the cross, the veil was torn, and all access has been given to God’s children. Jesus invites us to pray with Him and all Christians, Our Father. The psalmist gives us a great example here in psalm 116. Seven times throughout the psalm, the author refers to calling upon God (v. 4, 13, 14, 17, 18) or of God hearing him (v. 1, 2). 


The psalmist is bold in prayer and trusts in God to hear him, just as Hebrews says, “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16). In the services of morning and evening prayer, the pastor or leader invites those gathered to join in the Lord’s Prayer by saying, “Taught by our Lord, and trusting in His promises, we are bold to pray…” (LSB 241, 251). This teaches us to approach God boldly, trusting that He will hear us because of His Son, Jesus Christ. When we are sick, hurting, or suffering, we can go right to the throne of God and ask for His mercy upon us. 


Let us boldly pray together: 

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.

¿A quién va a llamar? 

escrito por: Jamielynn Tinkey Flores


Salmo 116: 
Amo a Jehová, pues ha oído Mi voz y mis súplicas;
Porque ha inclinado a mí su oído; Por tanto, le invocaré en todos mis días.
Me rodearon ligaduras de muerte, Me encontraron las angustias del Seol;
Angustia y dolor había yo hallado.
Entonces invoqué el nombre de Jehová, diciendo: Oh Jehová, libra ahora mi alma.
Clemente es Jehová, y justo; Sí, misericordioso es nuestro Dios.
Jehová guarda a los sencillos; Estaba yo postrado, y me salvó.
Vuelve, oh alma mía, a tu reposo, Porque Jehová te ha hecho bien.
Pues tú has librado mi alma de la muerte, Mis ojos de lágrimas,
Y mis pies de resbalar.  Andaré delante de Jehová En la tierra de los vivientes.
 Creí; por tanto hablé, Estando afligido en gran manera.
Y dije en mi apresuramiento: Todo hombre es mentiroso.
 ¿Qué pagaré a Jehová Por todos sus beneficios para conmigo?
Tomaré la copa de la salvación, E invocaré el nombre de Jehová.
Ahora pagaré mis votos a Jehová Delante de todo su pueblo.
Estimada es a los ojos de Jehová La muerte de sus santos.
Oh Jehová, ciertamente yo soy tu siervo, Siervo tuyo soy, hijo de tu sierva;
Tú has roto mis prisiones.
 Te ofreceré sacrificio de alabanza, e invocaré el nombre de Jehová.
A Jehová pagaré ahora mis votos Delante de todo su pueblo,
En los atrios de la casa de Jehová, En medio de ti, oh Jerusalén.
Aleluya.

Cuando ocurre una tragedia, ¿a quién va a llamar? Cuando el médico te da malas noticias, ¿a quién va a llamar?  Cuando la tristeza se cuela, ¿a quién va a llamar?  Como hijo de Dios, se les ha dado una línea directa para invocar a su Padre Celestial en oración.  En la muerte y resurrección de Jesús en la cruz, el velo fue rasgado, y todo acceso ha sido dado a los hijos de Dios. Jesús nos invita a orar con Él y con todos los cristianos, Padre Nuestro.  El salmista nos da un gran ejemplo aquí en el salmo 116.  Siete veces a lo largo del salmo, el autor se refiere a invocar a Dios (v. 4, 13, 14, 17, 18) o a que Dios lo escuche (v. 1, 2).

El salmista es audaz en la oración y confía en Dios para escucharlo, tal como hebreos dice: "Acerquémonos, pues, confiadamente al trono de la gracia, para alcanzar misericordia y hallar gracia para el oportuno socorro." (Hebreos 4:16).  En los servicios de oración matutina y vespertina, el pastor o líder invita a los reunidos a unirse a orar el Padre Nuestro diciendo: "Instruidos por nuestro Señor y confiando en sus promesas, oramos..." (Oración de la Tarde: Servicio de la Luz). Esto nos enseña a acercarnos a Dios con valentía, confiando en que Él nos escuchará gracias a Su Hijo, Jesucristo.  Cuando estamos enfermos, heridos o sufriendo, podemos ir directamente al trono de Dios y pedir Su misericordia sobre nosotros. 


Oremos, confiando en las promesas de nuestro Padre Celestial: 

Padre nuestro que estás en los cielos, santificado sea tu nombre; venga a nosotros tu reino; hágase tu voluntad, así en la tierra como en el cielo; el pan nuestro de cada día, dánoslo hoy; y perdónanos nuestras deudas, así como nosotros perdonamos a nuestros deudores; y no nos dejes caer en la tentación; mas líbranos del mal. Porque tuyo es el reino, el poder y la gloria por los siglos de los siglos. Amén.








Comments